Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I Dun't Get It!!!





Now no offense to you avid Facebookers, but I don't get it. I thought I'd give it a trial run, y'know see if I dug it... but I gotta say, I DON'T! I get the whole "reconnect with old friends etc." thing but there are some people that I don't wish to connect with! It's somewhat disconcerting to be sent a friends request by somebody I apparently went to high school with, but don't have the faintest idea who they are!! I also feel bad. I mean what are you supposed to do, reject the persons' request and make them feel brutally rebuffed? On the flip side, I like the privacy features and the way you can control what people see....but it's not without fault. Do people really need to see every time I modify my profile, or what groups I've joined? Whose with me on this one? Maybe I value privacy too much. Maybe I'm just a suspicious and inconspicuous person. I dunno. All I know is that since I joined I experience an odd tense feeling when I see that 10 people I haven't seen nor thought of since I was six are requesting my friendship. If you ask me, the word "friendship" on Facebook is used a little too loosely...
This commentary was brought to you by,
Facebook Fanny

8 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger kelle said...

I have to agree with you, it is somewhat disconcerting seeing what groups my "friends" have joined and who they are now "friends" with. However, it is strangely addictive!!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger the Haazens :) said...

"WE WILL, WE WILL STOCK YOU!!" (to sung with a heavy rock beat)

I'm tellin' ya, that's why I blocked Miranda...do I really need this kind of emotional stress?!

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

well, i think it's cool...ehhh?

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Desiree said...

Go go Dags, but I have to agree with Zim. I thought of joining FaceBook, but then what? And what for? There are people I grew up with, that if I passed them on the street, I would secretly hope they didn't recognize me, and move on. Sounds morbid, I know, but really now- I hardly have time for the friends in my immediate life.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger ZimZen said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger ZimZen said...

I agree with Des. It's a little creepesk!! Everyday I'm flooded with emails from people I barely know who "want to be my friend." The trouble is... I don't feel popular by that! :)

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

cyndi...gord hilton found me on facebook, i told him to add you :p hahaha! he has two cute litte daughters...I LOVE FACEBOOK!!!!!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger JHoos said...

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who hasn't posted in a while!

I just received an email yesterday with my very first invitation to be someone's 'friend' on facebook. What are we, in fifth grade?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home